The trouble with simple living is that, though it can be joyful, rich, and creative, it isn't simple. ~Doris Janzen Longacre


The best way to bring a sustainable change in the world around me is by bringing the change in myself



Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Making a little Mrs Ball's Chutney ....

When it comes to chutney's you can't get any better. It's Mrs Ball's chutney. Just click on the link or preserving under labels and you will find the recipe. Imagine the catastrophe making a curry only to find you have used the last bottle of chutney.

Rina is on a mission, before the season is over I managed to get 6kg of fresh Queen peach's, 400 gr of dried apricots and about 150gr of dried raisins, ATM it's all socking in brown vinegar. Tomorrow first thing the cooking starts, in goes a few other ingredients, a chilli or two cause we love it hot.

Until tomorrow
Double checked that link and it did not work, so I just copy/paste a little of that post for you.



I can't tell you which one of my lovely South African friends put this recipe for Mrs Ball's Chutney on the Facebook and well I just had to give it a go. But then I just had to improve on it didn't I, well Mrs. Balls I hope you don't mind too much cause we like it hot, hmmmm maybe not this hot. The devil was sitting on my shoulder when I was chopping up the extra few chillis and those raisans. Maybe we'd just better stick to the original next time.

Edward Ball, Mrs. Ball’s grandson scaled down this original recipe to make 18 bottles of (mild) chutney.

612 g dried peaches
238 g dried apricots
3 litres brown wine vinegar
2 1/2 kg white sugar
500 g onions
120 g salt
7,5 g cayenne pepper
1 to 2 litres of brown wine vinegar for soaking
About 2 litres of brown wine vinegar for mixing

The fruit should be left in the soaking vinegar overnight, then cooked in the same vinegar until soft. Drain. Put the fruit through a mill. Add the sugar (dissolved) and onions (minced) and cook in a pot with the brown wine vinegar. The amount of vinegar depends on the consistency: it should not be too runny or too thick, but have the same consistency as the end product you find in the bottle. Add spices and cook for one to two hours. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon to prevent burning. Sterlise your bottles and spoon in the mixture. That's it - you've got Mrs Ball's Chutney.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I love Mrs balls chutney, and it is good with a bit of extra heat as well. I better check my cupboards and see if I need to make more now that you mention it. I make it with mangoes here though as that is what we get...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great; bet it taste great also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that sounds so nice my mouth is watering. xxx

    ReplyDelete