The trouble with simple living is that, though it can be joyful, rich, and creative, it isn't simple. ~Doris Janzen Longacre


The best way to bring a sustainable change in the world around me is by bringing the change in myself



Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Chooks, chicken stock and more ...

A while ago I mentioned Hubby was converting an old washing machine into a chook plucker, well I am still waiting!!! It was a curbside find and here We was hoping the motor still worked but the pump might not, no such luck it was the motor. His other problem was getting the drum out, the machine won. Then my mate Alby had to buy a new washing machine for his wife, the pump had packed up on their machine, which was lucky for us! Now all he needs to do is get started on it. The chooks have grown to small turkeys again and so I decided no more "Off with their heads" and we did it the old fashioned way. Thank the Lord there were only 11 birds left. We processed 8 birds on Sonday. The skin would have been tough anyway so we skinned them instead of plucking them properly. Worked great. Got 20 good sized meals for my freezer. ATM the stock pot is full of carcasses cooking away. while the first batch is cooling.Had this brilliant idea to fill up large muffin trays with stock and freeze them and fill a ziplock bag, taking out just what I need. And with the second batch fill a few bootles.

2 comments:

  1. Well done, very productive. We purchased two chooks recently. I made one of those mobile pens so they can chook about on the gardens. Working well so far. Feed too expensive, cheaper to purchase the eggs. But with just two hens, we can feed them on scraps.
    Regards, Keith.
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea to freeze the stock in muffin tins and then place them in a freezer bag. What a great idea and perfect for adding rich tasty flavor to stir fries or any other dish.
    ~ Kari

    PS Send me your address and I will send you a nut or two!

    ReplyDelete