The trouble with simple living is that, though it can be joyful, rich, and creative, it isn't simple. ~Doris Janzen Longacre


The best way to bring a sustainable change in the world around me is by bringing the change in myself



Saturday, February 9, 2013

A Rooster's World ...

Black feathers tinged green in the sunlight, red comb redder than red, a fine specimen deserving a fine name Harry. His harem of assorted Matildas gathered close, submitting to his every whim, in return protected under black beaded eyes. Strutting around the place like He own it. Who could crow louder and clearer than Gentle Harry. Matildas have eggs to lay and chicks to hatch and bugs to catch. Life was just right here in his backyard. One fine day a new rooster peeped from under his mother's black wing, a whole new world out there Halve a dozen fluffy chicks learning the ways of being a chicken under Matildas watchful eye.Nothing rocks Big Harry's world
Until a fateful day Harry injures his leg protecting his girls, he wins the fight but loses his dignity. The lady of the house can't do much for his broken spur and bust up leg. Time will heal those wounds and save his dignity, Harry crows no more. His girls left to protect themselve now.They stay close by. The only crow now is the young rooster just practicing his stuff, no father figure to keep him in check no more. Until now he has no name but Dennis comes to mind when he sees the lady of the house. Dennis starts winding up the girls as his testosterones work overtime like any teenager rooster. He pesters every single hen within his sight. There is little Harry can do about that. A new order is slowly starting to take place, one where Harry is not the Boss anymore. It's time Harry need to heal that leg, first Mom used to carry him out to sit in his shady spot under the tree, where he could keep and eye on his girls. Slowly Harry is starting to hobble along again like an old man with a walking stick. Mom still scoops him up when he's to slow getting back to the chook palace before bedtime. But Harry is hanging in there waiting for the day he can sort out that Dennis the menise, show him who owns this here backyard!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving a comment today ... Nice to see you again xx

      Delete
  2. I love those gentle, big black roosters. Have none myself at the moment.

    Quick question, as I don't know who to ask right now! Is ALS closed down? I cannot reach it, in Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Firefox. Just wondering... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ree, haven't been around that much lately either but I could log in and post. I keep my property thread going still nearly 6 years old now. Did a quick look around, a little slow but it's still going. Be a sad day when it closes down, maybe we all need to go back. Just find myself a little over the beginner's questions. we might need to share our wisdom with them again lol xx

      Delete
    2. Okay....thanks! If you can see and log into the site, it must mean that there is something amiss with my computer settings. Usually if I have a problem in IE, then I can access it with another, but not this time. I'll try get one of my computer savvy sons to investigate.

      Since your post I've been thinking about getting some more Australorps. Since the fox attack last year, I only have one left. Lots of hens, but only one Australorp, that is.

      Delete
  3. We decided not to get another rooster, just a couple of hens. Problem is they are still not laying!!!
    Keith.
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your hens are still too young, hang in there mate, you'll be having sunny side up fried eggs soon. Sure nothing is stealing them eggs?

      Delete
  4. Hi Rina, That's quite a story about Harry, poor old chap! I've been thinking of you down under lately as I have been watching McLeod's Daughters on Netflix (since October!) When it is cold and snowing here, I remember your sweet farm and it's summer there. I hope all is going well for you all!
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete