The trouble with simple living is that, though it can be joyful, rich, and creative, it isn't simple. ~Doris Janzen Longacre


The best way to bring a sustainable change in the world around me is by bringing the change in myself



Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Dehydrated Carrots ... citrus slices ... sweet potato

Sure been giving that dehyrator a work out, it's been running just about non stop for the last week or three. First it was sweet potatoes until my huge jar was filled up, then I moved on to carrots. I have lost track of the packets I have bought @ $1.49 ... worked out 3 packets of 1 kilo unpeeled at a time, fit just nicely on to the 5 trays. First I peel and then slice them, then blanc them, and then drain them in a big colander. Pack each tray nicely , place the trays in the dehydrator and switch on, easy as.
It is ready not that hard and so far nothing has gone black on me, not even the sweet potatoes. And that has got to do with the peeling, esp the sweet potato which has two layers to the skin, get to the fleshy part and your chips woun't go black Becky. I noticed while they were cooling off that the outside started blackening, using a knife I cut off the 2 layers and the inside was beautiful. Ready to be sliced into 1/4 inch rings/chips.
Aren't these carrots just to cute for words. My glass jar is not full yet so I guess another 9 packets should do the trick. I have tested these carrots out by add in a handfull and pouring boiling water over and yeah they swell out nicely again.
Now these yummy orange and lemon sliced took a little long to dehydrate, maybe cut thinner is the way to go. Added to homemade lemonade as a garnish will give extra taste if not will look very pretty. But they are yummy just like that too. Happy dehydrating!!

3 comments:

  1. Dehydrating.. IS SOMETHING I HAVE NEVER TRIED. IT SURE COULD SAVE SOME MONEY.THOSE CARROTS DO LOOK GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How impressive. A dehydrator is definitely on my list of wants! Ree

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. I've made some biltong in my dehydrator, and it was perfect. I'm gonna try the fruit and veggies!

    ReplyDelete