The trouble with simple living is that, though it can be joyful, rich, and creative, it isn't simple. ~Doris Janzen Longacre


The best way to bring a sustainable change in the world around me is by bringing the change in myself



Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Plans for december holidays and Christmas at the Farm

Every year for the last 3 years we have said we going to be at the farm over the holiday period, but then we head up to the kids in Brisane instead, only cause they don't want to drive down. Which I understand as we still don't have a house built yet. Need to do all the council soil tests, +++ For us two oldies it not a problem we just rough it out in the old caravan. Even the grandkids enjoy it there, but having no mod cons there just does not suit them. The sound of running water, hot showers and ice cold beers is more their style. If we manage to get them there we would hire a holiday cabin from my friend Jenny.

We do have a generator that is strong enough to power up lights, fridge and powertools but I hate the noise it makes and only use it when we really have too. The only thing I miss is the computer. We don't have a TV but we could take a spare one with a dvd recorder for DH's cowboy movies (God forbid)as if he doesn't see enough of those during the week at home. Weekend's it normally sport. Otherwise we just run a camping fridge and 2 gas burner hotplate. We also BBQ a fair bit or cook in the Texas smoker. Evenings we burn citronella torches for the mozzies and light. Normally I have a bucket of water in the shade where I just pop in cooldrink bottles, milk and juice, that work really well in wintertime, add a bag of ice and you got icecold drinks.

Bath time is a little more challenging, you need to boil a kettle and sausepan for hot water, pour that in a large old cast iron freestanding bath, and add required cold water, only difference is it outside. There is another method but it sounds a little like a witches pot to me, but I will give it a go oneday and make a small fire under the bath, only got to watch I don't burn this fat behind. Wood I got a plenty. Dear Husband hates making the fire but I really don't mind it, no little white starter blocks or other strange methods, just newspaper, thin kindling and matches. No I did not go to girl guides when I was young.

We might even try catching some dinner this time, the river has Bass and catfish and some other edible fish. and it's only 5 mins away. If that fails we just head on to Smithtown to our hang out joint and have a nice Barramundi with chips and salad. What a great venue on the river bank where you can moar you boat and sit outside enjoying lunch and a beer. Nexttime we there I will take some pic to show you.

We still have to do a bit of fencing at the farm so the sheep can go there for the month, that idea is slowly disintergrating cause I just can't see it being ready in time. We heading up this weekend with yet another trailer load of sand stone. The ground should be nice and wet for digging holes as we have had heaps of rain there.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds as if your making progress though which is good. We love to camp but rarely have a chance to go...which is odd as my husband is an RV dealer! It seems you have a nice system set up for yourselves, would love to see more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a lot of work cut out for you to do this weekend. You do have a nice set-up there. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete