The trouble with simple living is that, though it can be joyful, rich, and creative, it isn't simple. ~Doris Janzen Longacre


The best way to bring a sustainable change in the world around me is by bringing the change in myself



Wednesday, November 10, 2010

RIP ....

It's not easy being a wannabe farmer, sometimes you do things because there really is no other way out. I told you about the ewe with the prolapsed uterus and her Box coming out making even peeing difficult, 2 weeks ago it was out badly and I thought she was going into labour, it kept coming out and then retracting, Sonday it looked really bad and I gave the vet a call who suggested olive oil and push it back in, bring her in. I made the decision not to spend Huge dollars on her as she was not young anymore and the lamb would have been for the plate cause it would have been a mixed breed. Before work (4.30am) I was out checking on the sheep as usual, and got George to hold her so I could push it back in again. Tom from nextdoor, has 500 sheep on his farm and another 50 here, came over to give us a hand, he stitched her up but then I asked the question what he would do if it was his, and really I knew the answer before he could answer me, so we decided he was going to shot her, cause he thought the unborn lamb was dead and there really was no way she could deliver it anyway. I had been expecting to find her dead everytime I checked on them.
Our Landlord dug the hole with his backhoe and it was over ......

12 comments:

  1. Oh my! I sympathize with you. That's one of the hardest things to do as a farmer. Especially a hobby farmer, since you kinda get attached to your animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you lost your sheep, it is hard to make a decision like this, but doing what is best for the animal when it is suffering is important even when it leaves us feeling terrible.. you did the right thing.. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am so sorry to hear this news! How sad for all of you.
    ~Donna~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor old girl. You made the right decision though and it's good that you had people to help you, specially the digging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, gosh, this is tough. I know it's all part of farming and the way of Mother Nature, but that doesn't make it any easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The right decision Rina, they rarely get over something like that, especially if it keeps happening as in this case. As people keep pointing out to me, where there's livestock, there's dead stock! Hate hearing though :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so sad. You did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a hard call to make but most often it's the right thing to do. Sorry that you have to make that call though. Glad that you had help in digging the hole!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is sad, but also part of the circle of life... It's never easy though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very sorry you lost her. It is never easy to lose one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes you just have to be cruel to be kind... it's the way it goes when you are farming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry about how things worked out for her.
    So difficult to have to make that sort of decision, but it was for the best :)

    ReplyDelete